The Etisalat Prize for Literature which is the first Pan African Literary Award to celebrate African fiction writers seeks to recognize, celebrate and reward debut fiction writers of African descent whose works are published in the last 24 months. For the purposes of this definition, first book means first printed production in book form of any type or genre.
The Etisalat Prize for Literature is unique in that it also aims to promote the publishing industry at large and will therefore purchase 1000 copies of all shortlisted books which will be donated to various schools, book clubs and libraries across the African continent.
Application Deadline: 13th September 2017
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: African Countries
To be taken at (country): Nigeria, United Kingdom
Eligible Field of Study: Literature
Offered Since: 2013
Value of Award: The winner of the Etisalat Prize for Literature receives £15,000, and a high end device.The winning writer will also embark on the Etisalat Fellowship at the University of East Anglia mentored by Professor Giles Foden (author of The Last King of Scotland) which will include significant opportunities to meet other writers, publishers and most importantly work on their second book.
Eligibility: To be eligible for this contest, applicants must:
- be African citizens
- be a first time writer
- have a book published in English and by an author of African citizenship
- have a book first published between June 2015 – June 2017
- Submissions will only be accepted from publishing houses.
- All books entered must have a registered ISBN number or equivalent.
- Publisher should have been a registered business (with certificate of incorporation as a publisher) for minimum of six years
- Entries for fiction books will be submitted by publishers who have published a minimum of six (6) authors.
- Each publisher will be allowed to enter a maximum of three (3) books – however books maybe called in by the judges.
- Each entry will be required to be accompanied by Seven (7) copies of the book being entered along with acceptance of publicity terms.
- The Etisalat Prize for Literature is not open to employees of any organisation under Emirates Telecommunications Corporation with branded trade name Etisalat.
Visit The Office Website For More Information
Award Provider: Etisalat