Applications are invited from applicants who plan to pursue a career in teaching and/or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand for academically trained personnel.
Application Deadline: 15th December 2020.
Eligible Countries: The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa with a first academic degree (Master’s courses) or a Master’s degree (PhD courses), either
- in their home country (In-Country scholarships are aimed at students who study in their home country or in the country for which they have a residence permit.)
- in another Sub-Sahara African country (In-Region scholarships are aimed at students who want to participate in a study programme in a country of their home.
To be Taken at (Country): The scholarship is open to citizens and permanent residents of sub-Saharan Africa to study in selected institutions in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia and Sudan.
Type: Masters, PhD
Number of Awards: Numerous
Value of Award:
- University tuition fees
- research allowance (once a year)
- monthly stipend
- travel allowance (in-region only)
- health insurance (in-region only)
- and the possibility of a study visit of up to 6 months to Germany within the period of the scholarship.
Duration of Award: The duration of the Master programme is generally two years and for PhD programme is generally three years (regular period of studies). Please check with the selected host institutions the exact start dates of the programme.
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following DAAD criteria:
- have successfully completed generally a three-year Bachelor’s degree (Master candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper Division if applicable)
- have successfully completed generally a two-year university Master’s degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper Division if applicable)
- clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- must be nationals or permanent residents of a Sub-Sahara African country
- should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector and/or d) Alumni of the DAFI-programme
How To Apply; Applicants must first apply for the scholarship via the DAAD portal. Applicants are asked to log into the DAAD portal, register themselves and submit a DAAD application. Please refer to the Call for Application 2021 for the specific link to the funding programme in the DAAD portal.
Visit The Scholarship Webpage For More Information