The DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme (known as Public Policy and Good Governance) supports future leaders from developing countries, who want to promote democracy and social justice in their home countries.
The programme, which is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office, offers the chance to acquire a Master’s degree in Master programmes of particular relevance for the social, political and economic development in the students’ countries of origin
Application Deadline: July 31, 2022
Eligible Countries: International
Value of Award: DAAD scholarship holders are exempt from paying tuition fees, in addition to the following other benefits;
- Scholarships (of currently € 931 per month) for master’s courses at German higher education institutions.
- Health insurance cover in Germany
- Appropriate travel allowances for travel between Germany and the respective developing countries
- A study and research grant
- Rent subsidies and family supplements, as applicable
- Preceding German language course in Germany, lasting up to 6 months. Participation is mandatory.
- The scholarship scheme is open to graduates in the field of social sciences, political sciences, law, economics and in public administration from Africa, Latin America, South Asia and Southeast Asia, from countries in the Middle East as well as from the Ukraine.
- The programme is open for very well qualified graduates with a first university degree (bachelor or equivalent) who want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries.
- The scholarships are offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals.
How to Apply: The required application documents are:
- Checklist form, signed with place and date indication
- DAAD application form ‘Application for a research/study scholarship’ (please type your answers or make sure they are easy to read)
- A single letter of motivation
- A curriculum vitae in reverse chronological order without any unexplained gaps (please use the europass template) including exact information about your studies, and on practical experience
- Copies of your higher education degree certificates.
- Copy of your full set of transcript of records
- Written confirmation for any work experience, internship or professional experience.
- Recent language certificates (for English and/or German)
- Current written reference from your current employer or from a university lecturer if you are a student at present, on headed paper, signed, dated and stamped