The Canadian Mental Health Association, BC Division’s Lorne Fraser Scholarship for Mental Health Promotion is designed to support people with experience of mental illnesses as they pursue post-secondary education.
The two scholarships, for $1,000 and $2,000, are awarded annually. Following selection by the Review Panel, successful applicants will be notified by September 2023. The funds will be issued directly to the educational institution for tuition fees or to the bookstore for book costs. Applicants must agree to report to the Review Panel on how the scholarship assisted them
Type: For Undergraduates
Application Deadline: 17th July, 2023
Number of Awards: Two
Value of Award: $1,000 and $2,000
• Experience of mental illness or significant substance use challenge
• Preference will be given to students facing financial hardships, and those who may not be eligible for other funding.
• At least 20 years of age (or will be turning 20 in the upcoming semester) and a resident of British Columbia (current or once classes begin)
• Entering the second, third or fourth year of an undergraduate program or any stage of a graduate program at a designated British Columbia university or college
• Will be enrolled at a recognized BC post-secondary institution by December 1, 2023
• Educational and vocational goals related to mental health promotion (see instructions for the 500-word statement of intent)
• Applicants are NOT eligible if they are currently participating in a government-sponsored job training program or receiving major financial support. Applicants can apply more than once, but are NOT eligible to receive a bursary or scholarship two consecutive years.
• Applicants awarded a bursary who are unable to confirm enrolment by December 1, 2023 will be asked to provide additional documentation to support their extenuating circumstances.
• Changes to recipients’ course or program between the time of award notification and the beginning of the course or program must be discussed with the selection committee in order to remain eligible for the original application.