The National Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences (NIHSS) In Collaboration with the South African Humanities Deans’ Association (SAHUDA) is offering scholarship opportunities to students to study full-time towards a doctoral degree in the humanities and social sciences at any of the participating South African public universities.
This scholarship program is created to promote scholarship in the humanities and social sciences in South Africa, specifically among designated groups and Historically Disadvantaged Institutions.
Application Deadline: 10th November 2017
Eligible Countries: South-Africa
To be taken at (country): South Africa
Value Of Scholarships: The value of the award is R132 000 in the first year. Annual renewals are subject to proof of satisfactory progress. The maximum funding period is three years.
Number Of Scholarships: Not specified
Eligibility: To be eligible for this scholarship program, applicants must:
- be South African citizens from designated groups
- Not older than 45 years of age at the time of the application.
- have successfully completed their Master’s degree; or entering the first year of PhD/doctoral study; or currently registered for PhD study in first year of enrollment.
How To Apply: Interested applicants should submit the following documentation for application:
- Online application form which is accessible through the link: https://gms.nihss.ac.za
- Letter of confirmation by the prospective department or supervisor that you will be admitted to the participating university for registration for PhD study.
- A motivation letter (not longer than one A4 page – 500 words)
- A recent intellectual autobiography: a narrative of the major influences in your intellectual life (not longer than one A4 page – 500 words)
- A research proposal outlining the problem statement, methodology, feasibility of your study and the contribution it will make to the body of knowledge in the particular field of study
- Two letters of recommendation from academics who are familiar with your work, of which one must be the supervisor of your Master’s thesis
- A certified copy of your full academic transcript/s
- A certified copy of your ID
- Sample copies of your best writing, e.g. a chapter from your Master’s study or any published academic work.
Visit The Scholarship Website For More Information