Ashinaga foundation is a Japan based non-profit organization which offers scholarships to African orphans who wish to pursue a bachelors degree at the world’s top leading universities in Japan, US and UK etc.
This scholarship is a fully funded scholarship that covers the cost of tuition, accommodation (during the terms and vacation), insurance, flight, and provides monthly stipend which covers food and necessary academic costs and it provides educational and emotional support to orphaned students.
Ashinaga foundation provide the students with a concentrated study camp for six months at Ashinaga’s facility, Kokorojuku, in Uganda and Senegal, where they are given dedicated support and assistance with their study of various subjects and languages, as they prepare to apply to highly ranked universities around the world.
Application Deadline: 7th August 2017
Offered annually? Yes
To be taken at (country): Higher institutions outside of Africa, in countries such as Japan, US, UK etc
Eligible Countries: The following countries are eligible for this scholarship:
Uganda, Rwanda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Ghana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Sudan, Botswana, South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Mauritius, Somalia, Nigeria,Gambia.
Offered Since: 2014
Eligibility: To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must:
- be a citizen of one of the countries mentioned above.
- have lost a parent or both parents.
- have completed their primary and secondary school education within the last two years, or will complete 12 years of education by December 31, 2016.
- not have the financial means to attend university.
- be proficient in English Language.
- be born after 1st October 1994.
- be able to participate in the two Ashinaga preparatory programs, over the course of one year, before attending university.
- be in a good health condition and be able to study abroad.
- be willing to return home to Sub-Saharan Africa, and contribute to society at large.
How To Apply:
Interested and eligible applicant will have to follow any of these procedures to apply for this scholarship:
Interested and eligible applicants should visit this Link to apply.
Applicants should download and completely fill in the application form and send it by email to email@example.com with the required documents attached.
Applicants should download and completely fill in the application form and send it by post to: Ashinaga Africa Initiative Recruitment Team
P. O. Box 16864 – Kampala, Uganda
Application are accompanied with the following :
- The application form.
- One passport photo.
- Copy of term reports / high school transcripts (the last 2 years).
- Academic transcripts or diplomas from university/post-secondary institution, if applicable.
- Completion of essay 1 and essay 2.i) Essay 1: Please describe how you grew up and experienced losing your parent(s). What challenges have you faced after the loss and what and how did you do in order to overcome them? Please write in detail especially the action you took to continue further education. (Maximum 500 words)ii) Essay 2: Please write a “personal statement” in English describing why and what you want to study at university abroad. Also, please mention whether you have any future plans of how you want to use the knowledge and experience that you gain after graduating from university. (Maximum 500 words)
- Copy of General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE).
- Copy of death certificate of deceased parent(s) or alternative official document.
- Copy of birth certificate.
- Recommendation letter from a principal or a class teacher.
- Copy of national ID card or passport.
- Awards or activity certificates, if any.
Please Visit the scholarship webpage for more details.
Sponsors: The 100-Year Vision is sponsored and implemented by Ashinaga.