Nordic Africa Institute (NAI) Scholarship Programme provides opportunities for early career researchers based in Africa to work and develop their ongoing research at the Nordic Africa Institute. The scholarship offers access to the Institute’s library, hosting by the Institute’s researchers, networking opportunities and other resources that provide for a stimulating research environment. Through the programme, the Nordic Africa Institute aims to contribute to building capacity in the production of knowledge about Africa, and to promote and establish relations with and between African and Nordic research communities.
The scholarship offers access to the Institute’s library and other resources that provide for a stimulating research environment. Through the programme, the Nordic Africa Institute aims to contribute to building capacity in the production of knowledge about Africa, and to promote and establish relations with and between African and Nordic research communities.
Type: PhD, Fellowship
Application Deadline: April 10, 2024
Value & Duration of Award:
- The scholarship includes a return air-fare (economy class), accommodation, a subsistence allowance of 400 SEK (approx. 40 USD) per day plus an installation grant of 2,500 SEK (approx. 250 USD) and access to a workspace, including a desk computer, in a shared office at the Institute. Please note that the subsistence allowance will be provided only for the days spent in Uppsala.
- The Institute’s library is specialized in literature on contemporary Africa and focuses on Social Sciences. Furthermore, Guest Researchers have access to the Uppsala University Library and to the Library of the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.Guest Researchers have the possibility to present their research at the Nordic Africa Institute and to visit other institutions in the Nordic countries.
Eligible Countries: All African Countries
Eligibility: The programme is open to two main categories of early career researchers:
- Staff full-time employed by an African-based university or research center who are enrolled on a doctoral programme in the African region and who do not have access to an international scholarship
- Postdoctoral researchers (within 5 years or less of PhD completion).
How To Apply: Interested candidates should click on “Apply For This Scholarship” below
- Up-to-date CV, including list of publications (if available online, please include links)
- Outline of research project, 5 pages:
- A well elaborated research proposal
- Work plan, 1 page:
- The plan should be specific for the time spent at the Institute, including research objectives and expected results
- Reference: A signed letter of support from the applicant’s Head of Department or other senior scholar in the same field, which confirms current work place/affiliation and field of research