Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships provide graduates from all fields with the opportunity to pursue masters, doctoral or postdoctoral research in Switzerland at one of the public-funded universities or recognized institutions.
Every year, the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship is offered for Ph.D., Postdoctoral, and Research for Foreign Students from Africa and other Countries to Study Abroad in Switzerland. New information as more countries has been included.
The Swiss government, through the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS), awards various postgraduate scholarships to foreign scholars and researchers: The research scholarship is available to post-graduate researchers in any discipline (who hold a master’s degree as a minimum). Also, beneficiaries must be planning to come to Switzerland to pursue research or further studies at the doctoral or post-doctoral level.
Research scholarships are awarded for research or study at all Swiss cantonal universities, universities of applied sciences, and the two federal institutes of technology. Only candidates nominated by an academic mentor at one of these higher education institutions will be considered.
Type: Masters, Doctoral, Post-Doctoral
Application Deadline: November 30, 2023
Value of Award: The scholarship covers a monthly payment, exemption of tuition fees, health insurance, airfare, special lodging allowance, etc. See the fact sheets for exact scholarship benefits.
Note: The FCS assesses scholarship applications according to three criteria:
- Candidate profile
- Quality of the research project or artistic work
- Synergies and potential for future research cooperation
- Applications are subject to preliminary selection by the relevant national authorities and/or the Swiss diplomatic representation. The short-listed applications are then assessed by the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS) which subsequently takes the final decision.
The FCS is composed of professors from all Swiss public universities. Scholarship awards are decided on the basis of academic and scientific excellence.
Eligible Countries: All Countries
Eligibility: Candidates for the University Scholarships must:
- Hold a university degree (Bachelors/Masters) on commencement of the scholarship.
- Be able to demonstrate their academic abilities and what they aim to achieve.
- Contact the institution and/or the professor supervising their period of research. Universities may request supplementary information and/or set certain additional conditions to determine whether or not you qualify for admission.
- Be under the age of 35 (born on or after 1st January 1987).
- Be suitably proficient in the language of instruction (French, German, Italian, or English) in order to draw full benefit from their studies in Switzerland.
How To Apply: Interested and qualified applicants should apply using the link below.
- Select your country of origin according to your passport. Find out about the types of scholarships available, eligibility criteria and application deadlines for your country. For more information and questions, please contact the address provided in the list of contacts (PDF, 136 kB, 02.08.2023).
- Read the Application Guidelines and follow the instructions. Prepare your application and submit two complete copies to the relevant office in your country of origin according to the list of contacts (PDF, 136 kB, 02.08.2023) by the deadline.