The Alliance for African Partnership (AAP) established its African Futures Research Leadership Program in Fall 2019. The competitive visiting scholar program targets early career women researchers from the 10 AAP member universities to travel to Michigan State University (MSU) for one year to be jointly supervised by faculty members from MSU and their home institution in research for impact, writing of scholarly and/or policy publications, dissemination of research results, and grant proposals.
Application Deadline: 31st January 2023
Eligible Countries: International
Value of Award: Successful applicants will be paired with a suitable MSU faculty mentor and will work with their mentor over a one-year period at MSU. AAP will provide scholars a salary during their time at MSU, and will cover airfare and visa application fees. Scholars will also receive a small grant for their research and professional development activities, to be spent in coordination with their mentors. Eligible scholars will be current early career Academic Staff at AAP member universities who have received their PhD within the past ten years.
Eligibility: To be eligilbe, you must;
- Be an early career woman researcher
- Citizen of an African country in which AAP operates
- Have completed a PhD degree within the last 10 years
- Be Employed as an Academic Staff member at one of the 10 AAP African consortium universities including Egerton University, Makerere University, University of Dar es Salaam, Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Botswana, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, University Cheikh Anta Diop, University of Arts and Humanities, Bamako, United States International University-Africa, and University of Pretoria
- Have documented approval of leave or sabbatical to participate in the program for one year
- Have a mentor at their home institution that will serve as a collaborator and mentor when they return to their home institution
- Research must be in one of AAP’s six priority areas: agri-food systems, water, energy, & environment, youth empowerment, education, health & nutrition, and culture
How to Apply: Applicants are advised to submit a proposal that includes a CV, letter of interest, endorsement from their department chair and AAP focal point, writing samples, and letters of reference.