The Breakthrough Junior Challenge is an annual global competition for students to inspire creative thinking about science.
You get it. You’ve grasped an important scientific theory, concept, or principle. Now can you share your insight?
An inventive video can get across complex material that would take pages of text to communicate. To take part in the Breakthrough Junior Challenge, create a short video (2:00 – two minutes max) to explain a big idea in one of these fields:
- Life Sciences
Your film can take any form you like: animation, talking head, documentary, dramatic reconstruction, whatever. It’s worth keeping in mind that video is a dynamic visual medium – using diagrams, simulations, physical demonstrations etc. is a lot more effective than standing in front of a blackboard talking.
Application Deadline June 25, 2023
Eligible Countries: Worldwide
Award Value: If your video is chosen as the Winner, you will receive:
- $250,000 Post-secondary scholarship
- $50,000 Prize for your teacher
- $100,000 Breakthrough Science Lab
Eligibility: You can take part in this year’s Challenge as long as you are:
- 13 or older by 12:01 AM PDT (West Coast USA) on April 1, 2023.
- Not older than 18 (not yet 19) as of 11:59 PM PDT (West Coast USA) on October 1, 2023.
- They welcome submissions in English from anyone of those ages, including homeschooled students, students with disabilities, and students from all over the world.
How to Apply: Interested and qualified candidates can visit the challenge website for the complete application guidelines and processes.