GreenMatter is inviting applications for its Fully-Funded Awards which will be provided to talented and committed biodiversity practitioners who have interest in studying in South Africa.
This Award program is designed to provide opportunity to fully engage in tackling biodiversity issues through their study and career paths, alongside peers who share in that commitment.
Application Deadline: 5th November 2017.
Eligible Countries: South Africa
To Be Taken At (Country): South Africa
Type: Postgraduate Fellowship/Awards
Eligibility: To be eligible for this award, Applicants must be:
- A national of South Africa;
- In possession of an undergraduate Degree, Honours Degree, or Master’s Degree;
- Seeking funding for a full-time postgraduate programme;
- Able to motivate how your field of study aligns to the GreenMatter priority skill areas identified.
Number Of Awards: Not specified
Value Of Award: A GreenMatter postgraduate award provides holistic support in the form of:
- a cash contribution towards costs of living, study fees, and research costs; and
- the opportunity to access mentoring support, career guidance and platforms to engage in learning networks.
The 2018 Fellowship call is inviting applications for an award from the following:
Nedbank Eyethu Community Trust:
For students wanting to enroll at a South African University to commence Honours studies in 2018. This award is supported by the Nedbank Eyethu Community Trust and GreenMatter. The cash bursary amount is ZAR 50,000 per year. The Honours coursework and proposed research topic must address GreenMatter Priority Skills Areas (As listed in the table above).
Harry Crossley Foundation/Stellenbosch University/University of Cape Town:
For students wanting to enroll at Stellenbosch University or the University of Cape Town to commence Honours and PhD studies in the 2018 (2nd and 3rd year students are not eligible). This award is supported by the Harry Crossley Foundation, Stellenbosch University, University of Cape Town and GreenMatter. The cash bursary amount is:
Honours: ZAR 35,000 per year
PhD: ZAR 150,000 per year for up to 3 years.
The proposed research topic must address GreenMatter Priority Skills Areas (As listed in the table above).
The Mapula Foundation MSc and PhD Award:
For students wanting to enroll at any South African university to commence Master’s and PhD studies in 2018 (2nd year students are not eligible). This award is supported by The Mapula Foundation and GreenMatter.
Mapula PhD Awards:
The PhD candidate cash bursary amount is ZAR 120,000 per year for three years only. Only PhD studies in the following biosphere reserves will be considered for the Mapula awards:
- Kogelberg Biosphere Reserve
- Cape West Coast Biosphere Reserve
- Cape Winelands Biosphere Reserve
- Kruger to Canyons Biosphere Reserve
The topic of the PhD studies in these biosphere reserves must conduct an assessment of how the management practices in the Biosphere Reserve contribute to region’s biodiversity conservation and meeting the Sustainable Development Goals.
Mapula Master’s Awards:
The Master’s cash bursary amount is ZAR 60,000 per year for two years only. The applicant’s proposed research topic must address one of the priority conservation concerns below:
- Project One: Vhembe Biosphere Reserve
- Project Two: Waterberg Biosphere Reserve:
How To Apply: The application form is of primary importance as it serves as the basis for assessment. The form should be completed and submitted online via the GreenMatter website. Please remember to fill in all sections of the form. If you experience any problems, questions can be emailed to [email protected] and will be responded to within 2 working days.
The following supporting documents must be included and should be uploaded at the end of the form. Please make sure the documents are labelled accordingly.
- Proof of South African citizenship;
- Certified copy of degree certificate(s);
- Certified academic transcripts;
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) – List any and all work or volunteer experience;
- Thesis proposal;
- Reference letters from two referees.
Visit The Award Webpage For More Information
Award Providers: GreenMatter