This MRC/ DFID jointly funded scheme aims to strengthen research leadership across sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) by attracting and retaining exceptionally talented individuals who will lead high quality programmes of research on key global health issues pertinent to SSA. The African Research Leader (ARL; PI) should be supported by an enthusiastic local research environment and by a strong linkage with a UK partner (i.e. the UK Co-Investigator; Co-I).
Application Deadline: 1st December 2022 16:00 GMT+1
Eligible Countries: African countries
Type: Grants, Research
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value & Duration of Award: Awards will provide support for up to 5 years and the MRC Contribution should not exceed £750k in total.
Eligibility: The African candidate will:
- have completed a PhD
- be well-qualified for academic research having spent at least the last three years in active research (post-PhD)
- be building a track record of independence in their selected field and demonstrating promise as a future research leader.
How to Apply: You must apply using the Joint Electronic Submission (Je-S) system. Your application will consist of the online Je-S proposal form and the following attachments to it:
- Proposal cover letter (optional, maximum of 2 pages)
- Separate CVs (maximum of 2 pages) required for PI, Co-Is and each named researcher
- List of Publications (maximum of 1 page) required for PI, Co-Is and each named researcher
- Case for Support (maximum 19 pages; refer to guidance)
- Justification of Resources (maximum of 2 pages)
- Data Management Plan (maximum of 3 pages)
- Supporting letters (PDF copy of signed letters, please use Je-S attachment type ‘Letter of Support’) from:
- The Vice Chancellor or equivalent at the African research institution (mandatory, maximum of 2 pages), to include:
a) declaration that it is a Government-owned/not-for profit institution;
b) statement about the research supportive environment available at the institution;
c) commitment to the continuity of support for the ARL;
d) formal confirmation that the institution agrees to the roles and responsibilities as detailed in the application
When uploading the document as ‘Letter of Support’, please describe the document as ARL Host Institute Declaration’.
- The placement organisation confirming their willingness to host the Research Leader’s proposed training visit plus details of the proposed placement using the placement template (if appropriate, maximum of 2 pages) – as one PDF.
If uploading this ‘Optional’ document as ‘Letter of Support’, please describe the document as ‘Placement Confirmation’
- Key stakeholders e.g. Ministry of Health (if appropriate, maximum of 2 pages).
If uploading this ‘Optional’ document as ‘Letter of Support’, please describe the document as ‘Key Stakeholder’ – (Detail name of Stakeholder)
Please read the MRC Guidance for Applicants, which will provide you with the page limit for the attachments and guide you through the standard processes for preparing a proposal, costing your proposals and any ethical and regulatory requirements that may apply to the research. Please refer to the scheme specific guidance in preparing your case for support.
Funders: Medical Research Council (MRC)