The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) was launched by the United States government as a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders.
YALI Africa Climate Tech Innovators and Leaders Program is a three-week, in-person, learning, networking, and joint action program for young African leaders experimenting with social and business interventions at the convergence of climate action and technology
Application Deadline: 6th August 2023
Eligibility: Competition for the YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa is merit-based and open to young West African leaders who meet the following criteria:
- Are 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission,
- Are citizens and residents of sub-Saharan African countries
- Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Are proficient in reading, writing, listening, and speaking English.
Selection Criteria: Selection for participation will be conducted as a merit-based, open competition. All eligible applications will be reviewed by a selection panel. Chosen semi-finalists will then be interviewed before a final selection is made and an invitation to join the program is issued.
Selection panels will use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- Demonstrated leadership in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
- Active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others.
- Strong social and communication skills.
- An energetic, positive attitude.
- A demonstrated knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected, and
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
Eligible Countries: Sub-Saharan African countries
Benefits of Award
- Business and Entrepreneurship: This track caters to the range of emerging or aspiring entrepreneurs who expect to take on leadership roles within the private sector or build their own business ventures on the continent.
- Civil Society Management: This track is oriented to those who are or aspire to be civically engaged and serve the public through non-governmental organizations, community-based organizations, or volunteerism.
- Public Policy and Management: This track is tailored to those who work or aspire to work in any level of government (including elected positions), regional organizations such as the African Union or the West Africa Community, international organizations such as the United Nations, or other publicly minded organizations or think tanks
- At the end of the programs, participants will be awarded a certificate and become a member of the Yali Alumni
- Participants will be taking through various forms of leadership training to prepare them for leadership roles in their various endeavors.
Applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, gender, religion, socioeconomic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.