DAAD Scholarships for Development-Related Postgraduate Courses offer foreign graduates from development and newly industrialized countries from all disciplines and with at least two years’ professional experience the chance to take a postgraduate or Master’s degree at a state or state-recognized German university, and in exceptional cases to take a doctoral degree, and to obtain a university qualification (Master’s/PhD) in Germany
With its development-related postgraduate courses, the DAAD promotes the training of specialists from developing and emerging countries.
Well-trained local professionals who are networked with international partners play an important role in the sustainable development of their countries. They are the best guarantee for a better future with less poverty, more education and health for all.
Type: Masters, PhD
Application Deadline: March 31, 2024
Value & Duration of Award: 1,200 Euros Monthly Stipends, Transport Allowance
12 to 42 months (depending on the course of study)
- Monthly scholarship rate depending on level of training of 934 euros for graduate students or 1,200 euros for doctoral students
- Benefits for health, accident and private liability insurance
- Subsidy towards travel costs, provided the costs are not borne by the home country or another party.
In addition, the following additional benefits can be granted under certain conditions:
- monthly rental assistance
- monthly supplements for family members traveling with you
Eligible Field of Study: Masters or PhD courses in Economic Sciences/Business Administration/Political Economics; Development Cooperation; Engineering and Related Sciences; Mathematics; Regional and Urban Planning; Agricultural and Forest Sciences; Natural and Environmental Sciences; Medicine and Public Health; Social Sciences, Education and Law; and Media Studies.
Eligible Countries: All Developing Countries
Eligibility: To be considered for the Scholarship, you must:
- Is currently working either for a public authority or a state or private company in a developing country and, as such, is engaged in the planning and execution of directives and projects with emphasis on development policies having a bearing on technological, economic or social areas
- Holds a Bachelor’s degree (normally four years) in a related subject.
- Has completed an academic degree with far above average results (upper third) and at least two years of related professional experience after the first degree (bachelor) at the time of application.
- His/her academic degrees should normally not be more than six years old.
- For study courses in German (scholarship includes a 6-month German language course): Successful passing of the language examination DSH 2 or TestDaF 4 before the start of the study course. Therefore a minimum German language level of B1 at the time of application is a requirement, that needs to be proofed by providing a certificate.
- For courses in English: Proof of adequate language skills, according to the regulations of the respective courses
How To Apply:
Applications must be made directly to the respective course. Please refer to the respective course websites for the application procedure, the application deadline, and the documents to be submitted. Deadline varies depending on the course but falls around August-October 2023.
- List of all Postgraduate courses with application deadlines 2023/24.
- List of all Postgraduate courses with application deadlines 2024/25.
Required Documents: To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- DAAD Application Form, physically signed and dated
- Up-to-date CV (europass), physically signed and dated
- Motivation Letter (max 2 pages), physically signed and dated
- Certificate(s) of Employment from employer(s) that prove you are currently employed and have the minimum requirement of two years of relevant employment (between completion of your Bachelor’s degree and the application deadline).
- Proof of English proficiency,
- Diploma & Transcript of Records copies in original form, with certified translations into English or German (if issued in another language)
- University Entrance Qualification (UEQ) (secondary school leaving certificate) copies in original form, with certified translations into English or German (if issued in another language)
- Ranking Letter if additional proof is needed to show that the final grade of your previous degree was actually above average
- Recommendation from current employer, on official letterhead, including information on the position and the contact details of the referee, signed and dated.