The Africa Research Excellence Fund (AREF) works to strengthen the health research capacity of scientists in Africa who are engaged in tackling the continent’s significant health challenges. It recognizes the need to support a diverse community of scientists across Africa, therefore, this call is specifically open to female biomedical/health researchers.
Application Deadline: May 12, 2023
Value of Award: The Programme’s aim is to enable talented women early-career health and health-related researchers to build skills to develop their own research and fellowship proposals of the quality required to win competitive international, regional and national funding.
The program will cover:
- Developing and expressing your unique research niche
- Formulating a compelling research question
- Understanding funders’ requirements
- Writing in plain English
- Writing the different sections of a proposal
- Key parts of a typical Case for Support / Project Description
- Planning your proposed project and budget
- Principles of managing and collaborating with a team
- Understanding and practicing peer review
- You are a woman health researcher/scientist
- You are a citizen of a country in Africa.
- EITHER you have been awarded a research doctorate (PhD/DPhil/MD) from a recognized academic institution within the previous 6 years, i.e. awarded on or after 01 January 2017); OR you have a medical/clinical qualification plus a research-relevant Master’s degree awarded within the previous 6 years.
- And you are currently employed in Africa by a recognized university and/or specialist research institution.
- You have not participated already in equivalent proposal development / grant-writing training.
- A significant part of your current employee role is to develop and conduct health research.
- You do not already have a significant portfolio of international research grants (Combined value of £250,000 or more).
How to Apply: Interested candidates should visit the AREF website for application guidelines