The Bayreuth International Graduate School of African Studies, BIGSAS, invites outstanding African women scholars based on the continent to join an international community of early career researchers working in the field of African Studies. BIGSAS provides a centre for creative and innovative doctoral training based on the inter- and multi-disciplinary research environment of the Africa Multiple Cluster of Excellence at the University of Bayreuth.
Application Deadline: 15th December 2022. 12:00 am.
Eligible Countries: African countries
Number of Awards: 2
Value of BIGSAS PhD Scholarships for African Women Scholars:
- Monthly payments of 1,200 euros
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Travel lump sum (depending on country of origin)
- Annual research allowance of 460 euros
Under certain circumstances, grant holders may receive the following additional benefits:
- monthly rent subsidy
- monthly allowance for accompanying members of family (about 200 euros child allowance per child; about 275 euros marriage allowance)
Additionally, the host graduate school can receive an annual material resource and supervision allowance (1000 euros).
Duration of Award: The scholarship periods begin in October 2023 at the earliest (including a German language course starting in summer 2023, if applicable). The scholarships are awarded for a total scholarship period of up to four years.
- Applicants must have a very good Master’s Degree in one of the disciplines represented at the graduate school. The Master’s Degree must have been obtained within the last six years. Applicants should not have been in Germany for more than twelve months. Applications may be submitted in German, English or French, the working language of BIGSAS is English.
How to Apply: For more information on your application, please refer to: https://www.bigsas.uni-bayreuth.de/en/application/index.html and www.daad.de/go/en/stipa57034100