This program is open to recent PhD recipients and doctoral candidates in the social sciences.
The Academy Scholars Program of The Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies identifies and supports outstanding scholars at the start of their academic careers whose work combines excellence in a social science discipline with a command of the language and knowledge or expertise of countries or regions outside of the United States or Canada. Their scholarship should span traditional disciplinary divisions and elucidate comparative, transnational, or domestic issues, past or present.
Application Deadline: September 22, 2023
Value of Award: $75,000
Eligibility: These awards are open to recipients of PhD or comparable doctoral degrees (within two years of the August 1, 2024, start date) and advanced doctoral candidates in the social sciences. Scholars nearing dissertation completion must be able to submit degree conferral documentation issued by their university registrar’s office by June 30, 2024, for an August 1, 2024, start date. Individuals who hold or have completed another Harvard postdoctoral fellowship are not eligible to apply.
How To Apply:
The completed application will include:
- Curriculum vitae (CV); including list of publications
- Research proposal (2000 words maximum); including intellectual objectives and planned methodological and disciplinary work
- One scholarly writing sample (e.g., PhD dissertation chapter or single-authored peer-reviewed academic journal article; 50 pages maximum; in English)
- A copy of your PhD program transcript
- Three letters of recommendation (uploaded to the online application directly and confidentially by the recommender by September 22, 2023)